Monday, February 23, 2009

Guess what these are....

When I found them at my favorite consignment store, New Visions
( the one Penny and I went to a couple of weeks ago ),
I had NO idea what they were either!

But they looked like they would OPEN!


So I gave a little tug.....

and the snaps came open .........



And I found out they were not only CUTE....

but practical!


They are sewing kits....travel size!

I was SO thrilled to find them and will treasure them!

Considering the metal scissors and other details, they must be quite old.

And they came at a perfect time for me to be inspired. I have been sewing up a storm.

I've heard different amounts of time mentioned for creating a new habit.
At the first of the year, I decided I would try to sew or craft some every day.
I tend to want to get my work done before I 'play' but I decided I was never
going to get far enough ahead. And instead of working at a project ALL day
until it is finished, I would spend some time EVERY day creating.

So far this year, I've made several things and feel very pleased.
This week, I've made pincushions. I have been determined to make a perfect apple...
but I still haven't perfected that! lol
But here are some that are finished......


And if you have a LOT of pins.......heehee!


This was the easiest one and turned out to be one of the cutest!


(Made from vintage fabric that was my Grandmother's!)

Create a new habit.......
spend some time everyday creating!

22 comments:

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Those sewing kits are too cute! Your pin cushions are looking great Diane!

Elizabeth Fedorko said...

Fabulous! Love the variety of pin cushion shapes!~~~XXOO, Beth

Celestina Marie said...

Love the sewing kits. How darling. Your new creations are adorable and so useful. I love them. I've heard it takes 21 days to form a habit. Looks like you are well on your way. What a talent you are.
Hugs, Celestina Marie

Anonymous said...

Pincushions are such fun! Those little sewing kits are great!

~CC Catherine said...

I adore these little pincushions and especially the last one made with your Grandmother's fabric. I just may use that idea., and give them as gifts to my family members that are girls. I have many articles of clothing from my grandmothers. Sweet post today! ;) ~CC Catherine from "Catherine de th`e Cups"

Janet said...

Hello Lavender Dreamer! I'm so glad you stopped by my soap blog - I love your blog and I love lavender! We have a huge lavender hedge in front of my house. I dry it and grind it up to use in my lavender soap:) I also love your new sewing finds - they're so very small and cute! I'm so glad to meet a fellow lavender lover! Janet:)

Charmingdesigns said...

Have I mentioned how much I enjoy you coming over to visit my blog and leaving me such nice comments...Thank you so much!! Those are the cutest "thingys" LOL. laurie

Freckled Hen said...

Your pincushions are so sweet, especially the one made with your grandmother's fabric. And the sewing kits are adorable. I love finding things while thrifting that have secret treasures inside!

Vee said...

Lovely pincushions! The vintage fabric one is my favorite, too.

Phyllis said...

How cute are those little travel kits? I've never seen any like that before. How old do you think they are?

You've done well making all those pretty pincushions. And I agree with your "new and improved" methods of creating. Work will always be there :)

Janet said...

I sure wouldn't have ever guessed sewing kits! They're so cute! And I love your pincushions. I have a book about making pincushions but I haven't tried any yet. I'm not too good when it comes to sewing!

Anonymous said...

Those are real cute. What a find! :-) I like the thought of how you didn't know what they were exactly and then you have that curiosity in you. It must have been a wonderful surprise for you to discover that it actually opens revealing something.

Aihara Ramintessah Sanchez said...

hi dear!Sorry that I missed your posts!Wow so cute creations.I like the idea of YOU creating each day. I have to bear that in my mind. I wanna learn to sew too.But wait till I master scrapping then maybe DH would buy my sewing machine after the long list of scrapbooking materials.LOl! Nice to hear from you dear.Take care!

Happy@Home said...

I was guessing ornaments. However, the little sewing kits are so much cuter. But what's even cuter than that are your pincushions. Love them.

Melissa said...

Love the sewing kits. And, you are turning into quite the sewing artist.

Emily said...

These are "sew" pretty! Great work :)

Danette said...

What darling sewing kits!
And your pin cushions are THE CUTEST I have ever seen!!! What a fun, functional and oh so pretty little thing to be able to create!
~Danette

Lisa Lectura Creations said...

Those sewing kits are a great find! Perfect for your crafty adventures. I love your new pincushions. All so adorable!

Hugs,
Lisa :)

Anonymous said...

How sweet those little sewing kits are! The shape of the scissors is so delicate looking.
And I just love your pincushions. Isn't it so satisfying to make thing!
Hugs!
Diane

Betty said...

Those little sewing kits are so cute. I've never seen any like that. I like that heart pincushion you made too!

Hen said...

Love those cute little sewing kits, what a find! My, you have been busy with those pin cushions. I quite fancy getting the Heather Bailey pattern to make fruit-shaped pin cushions...
Hen x

Unknown said...

Too cute, I thought they were for hanging.