Friday, November 19, 2010

"Yoga and the angels"

I went to my very first yoga class this week and like so many other things in my life...I wish I had gone sooner....like 20 years ago! It was amazing and I can't wait to learn more! I found a good website that explains some of it's benefits.... About.com ! I didn't know what to expect after the one hour and fifteen minute session so when late in the day I felt exhausted ...I was a little concerned! But my friend Lila Indigo pears blog wrote to tell me ....and I quote,

"I always feel "like a noodle", floppy and relaxed and so "floaty" that is is hard to do anything else for a while! AND, concentrating on the breath and positions takes all my troubles out of my mind for at least the hour and 15 min. of class!"

I hope she doesn't mind being quoted! heehee! But she has been practicing yoga for years and understands the long term benefits! THANKS Lila for the encouragement! Here's a picture of me on the box! I had quick results! hahahahaha!!!

DSCN0051

And ANGELS?

DSCN0043

I found this wonderful old plate at my favorite thrift store this week!

DSCN0042

Isn't it amazing? I didn't find much info on it when I did a google search so I think it must be very unique.

DSCN0044

Enjoy your day! And please let me know if you have a 'yoga experience' to share! Have you ever practiced yoga? Do you have advice for a beginner? HUGS!   island

15 comments:

Lila Rostenberg said...

Great post! I love the photo of you on the box! LOL!

LindyLouMac said...

What a pretty plate you found. As for yoga I do some but not often enough using a programme on my Wii.

Freckled Hen said...

I love how you live your life! My advice to you would be do what makes you comfortable. I like starting the day with the 12 or so poses of sun salutations. It usually gets the day on track and adds a little peace to my mind.
You are inspiring to so many, I am happy you are doing this.

Donnie said...

It's always fun to learn something new. You look like you're getting great flexibility already...lol....That is a lovely plate and I hope you find something out soon. Looks like it might have been a gift with the "compliments" stamp on it.

Kristen White said...

I have never tried Yoga but maybe I should? I could use a little relaxation and calm in my life! LOL...Your new plate is beautiful...great find! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!
Kristen

Della said...

I just may have to try Yoga! A dear friend of mine suggested it to me months ago, but at the time I couldn't imagine getting down on the floor, let alone getting back up! You really have encouraged me to try it. Thanks Diane, I'm going to look into Yoga!

Vee said...

Love the plate, too old for yoga, but I think you look marvelous on that box!

Kaila said...

I have no Yoga stories, but I am wondering if the plate was a commemorative one that the company gave away when it opened. May, Stern, and Co, in Pittsburgh (notice the spelling change) was founded--I think--in 1906.

Enjoy your weekend.

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

I've always heard the advantages of yoga, but haven't given it a try myself. It sounds so relaxing.

We belong to a gym here in Florida as well as the mountains. I've lost some weight in the last month and have increased my aerobic exercises and weight lifting.

It sure feels great to exercise, whether it's yoga or weights. I come home feeling wonderful.
Sam

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Diane,

I have done Yoga and aerobics for years and it helps you to relax and keep fit.
Love your little plate and how neat that the date is 1906, very old.

Happy weekend
Hugs
Carolyn

Dianne said...

I have practiced yoga in the past... I'm looking for a new studio, in fact, as mine closed several months back. As far as advice for a beginner, just do what you can, if you feel that the class is over your head at times, just go into child's pose until you feel you can go on. I have forgotten where in Florida you are. Where are you taking it?

Unknown said...

Such a cute plate, Have a sweet day!

Carol said...

What a beautiful plate! Love it, such a great find!
No yoga experience here but it would be nice to be relaxed once in a while!

Brenda Pruitt said...

I do yoga-type stretching exercises twice per day every single day. I wouldn't think of not doing it, as I've been at it for 14 years!
Brenda

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

I love the sweet angel plate! It is in such good condition if it dates back to 1906!

I took yoga lessons for years at the home of a local woman who was certified to teach. I liked that her students were all middle aged women like myself, and basically beginners. She taught us wonderful stretching and relaxation techniques. Unfortunately the meniscus in one of my knees gave way and I had to stop. I do miss it!