Friday, October 7, 2011

It’s Fall...let’s BAKE!

Why do we always want to BAKE when the Fall season arrives?

DSCN7374

It’s a beautiful day here in Florida and ‘only’ 84 degrees!

The hibiscus is blooming right now!

DSCN7376

It’s a little cooler today so... LET’S BAKE!

My hubby LOVES bagels but he likes GOOD bagels from the bakery! We don’t have a Bruegger’s bakery nearby so I decided to make some!

First you boil them...

DSCN7451

And THEN you bake...

DSCN7452

It’s been years since I’ve made them but I love baking bread !

DSCN7454

Hubby cut them and we toasted them...

DSCN7459

...and added just a ‘little’ butter!

DSCN7460

I found this recipe online that I modified just a bit!

For the original go HERE!

Home Baked Bagels

  • 1 1/2 cups warm water
  • 2 packages yeast
  • 2Tablespoons sugar
  • 1 Tablespoon salt
  • 3 1/2 cups flour
  • 2 quarts water , to boil
  • 1 egg white

    Directions:

    1. Mix yeast, sugar and warm water together and let stand 3 minutes.

    2. Mix 2 cups of flour with the salt in a large bowl and add the yeast mixture.

    3. Stir until combined and slowly mix in the rest of the flour

    4. Knead on a floured surface for 5 minutes, adding additional flour if needed, dough should be firm.

    5. Place dough in a greased bowl, cover and let rise until double.

    6. After rising punch down and divide dough into 12 balls.

    7. Allow to rest for 4 minutes.

    8. Bring 2 quarts of water to boil.

    9. With your thumb, make a hole in each ball of dough and pull open about 2 inches, making a bagel shape.

    10. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

    11. Place the shaped dough onto a board and cover for 10 minutes.

    12. Lower heat until simmering, turn it up as you cook to keep it hot!

    13. Drop 3 bagels at a time into the water for about 4 minutes, turning each once.

    14. Drain on a clean cloth and paper towels and place on lightly greased baking sheets.

    15. Brush tops with beaten egg white

    16. Bake for 30 minutes until golden brown. Turn the broiler on to lightly brown tops.

  •  

    It may seem like a lot of work....and it sure helped that my hubby came to my rescue when I needed an extra hand...but it sure is worth it when you taste them!

    WOW! They are delicious!

    DSCN7458

    My fruit bowl looked good, too so I took a photo of it!

    Please enter the Eco soap GIVEAWAY HERE!!!

    And enjoy your weekend! Do you have any fun plans?

    34 comments:

    Amanda said...

    Oh my goodness, these look amazing. I may just get brave enough to try them. I have never made my own bread! Yum.

    It is beautiful here, too. Sick kids so cancelled bday party for my little guy and hopefully a slow weekend, even if it's due to the sickies! Fall is esp busy!

    Amanda

    The Bear's Blog said...

    Oh, Miss Lavender Dreams, homemade bagels....I'm on my way over. I'd like Tupelo honey in my tea, please.

    Hugs
    Prudence

    helen tilston said...

    Your hibiscus look so beautiful and healthy
    Those bagels I know are a lot of work and look absolutely delicious. Your husband must truly appreciate all your efforts
    Helenxx

    Kim@Snug Harbor said...

    Wow- talk about being transported back in time.... When I was a teenager and still lived at home, I used to make bagles all the time, and that's how I did it, by boiling them first. They were always a welcome treat. I've not made them in.....well, lets just say... a LOT of years! But now I am inspired and when I get back home, I am going to have to try making them again. Thanks for the fun blast back to the past!

    Sherry@Back2Vintage said...

    I like to bake when it turns Fall, but I'm going to have to do something easier...like blueberry pound cake!!! :))

    Kathy said...

    Yum! I have always wanted to give homemade bagels a try! My daughter would just love these!
    Hope you have a fantastic weekend!
    Kathy

    Ames said...

    Those look yummy! I may try to make them!~Ames

    Joanne said...

    My family and I love to go to florida around this time of year because it is perfect weather! Those bagels look yummy! I may have to use that recipe because ever since I left the city I have not been able to find a decent bagel place :O(
    Blessings, Joanne

    GARAGE SALE GAL said...

    YUM...that is awesome that you make your own baggels!
    Happy weekend.
    deb

    Vee said...

    But what has happened to all those bagels? Did you freeze them? I'd love to try this recipe.

    Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking said...

    Wow how impressive!! They look so delicious!!

    Unknown said...

    Yummy, I love a good bagel and toasted crispy is even better. I've never made bagles, so you are my bagel rock star!

    Danice G said...

    Thank you for the bagel recipe. I am a bagel-lover also :) My weekend plans are for mother and I to go visit my twin sister and her family.

    Bev said...

    They look delicious!...It's our Thanksgiving Weekend...so we are having our Turkey Dinner Sunday:)

    bonnieboatwright@gmail.com said...

    These look delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe and step by step instructions!

    Unknown said...

    Hahaha! Ohhh lets not get started n baking! :) Its going to be thanksgiving on Monday in Canada.. just you wait LOL Its going to be heaven! :P

    Hugs,

    Diane Writes said...

    That looks yummy namemate!

    Della said...

    Now I want to make some bagels! I bookmarked this page ;D

    I wasn't here yesterday for this post...I went to the Food & Wine Festival at Epcot! It was great!

    Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

    Wow! Those bagels look yummy! Hope you are having a great weekend!...hugs...Debbie

    Stacy Kay Brais said...

    Your hibiscus looks great, I lost a couple of them this summer with our extreme heat, but one is finally doing better. Those bagels look really yummy...I think I need to try them. Thanks for sharing ;)
    Have a great day~Stacy

    Barb said...

    Diane, yummy. It all looks delicious! Baking will be a good thing to do this weekend. We are in for a rainy one.

    Happy Saturday!
    Barb ♥

    Gail said...

    I'm jealous of your weather but with 47 degrees here, I just might have to give that bagel recipe a try. Sounds yummy.

    RURAL said...

    I have always wanted to make my own bagels, have recipes for years. It's just the one thing that I haven't tried.

    Yours look so good, hmmmm.

    Making two Thanksgiving dinners this weekend. It's Canadian Thanksgiving.

    Jen @ Muddy Boot Dreams

    Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

    Your hibiscus looks beautiful! Hubby and I went out for breakfast and then to a Home Improvement show. We came home defrosted our freezer, mowed lawn and worked in the yard. I pulled up alot of annuals. some still looked pretty, but have to start sometime. Needless to say, we had a full day. Your bagels look delicious! I have never tried making bagels. I love them though. Think I would love to give it a whirl. Saving your recipe to try sometime soon. Thanks for sharing.

    Draffin Bears said...

    Hi Diane,

    How neat that you baked your own bagels, have never done that and must try one day. I also enjoy baking bread.
    Your hibiscus is pretty and it really shouts out summertime.

    Happy weekend
    Hugs
    Carolyn

    Musings from Kim K. said...

    You homemade bagels look absolutely yummy. I'd love to try those sometime. Have a lovely weekend. It's actually hit the 80s here in West MI. Unheard of amazing weather for MI.

    Shirley said...

    There's something about that warm smell that eminates from the oven that makes Fall seem that much better, doesn't it? Oh, your bagels look delicious! I've made them once before and was so amazed at how much better they are freshly made vs. storebought..but storebought is good too in a pinch! Always good to visit - wishing you a lovely Fall!

    Ivy and Elephants said...

    Okay, now you've made me feel bad! You make you own bagels!?! They love so good I can kinda smell them from here. Soft and chewy with just a "little" dab of butter ... sounds divine!
    Hugs,
    Patti

    Caty said...

    Hello, they look delicius. I'm very happy because you wrote a comment on my blog. God bless the fall.

    Suzanne said...

    yummy! I want one of your bagels!

    Prims and Annies said...

    Oh my...they look so yummy..I have never made bagels but you make it look so simple. I can almost smell them with the warm butter.
    I love hibiscus, we had lots of them when we lived in Orlando...and the best part is they bloom almost all year long. We are only 3 1/2 hours from Orlando now in South GA but the hibiscus do not grow well here and then the winter comes and they die. I just gave up trying to grow them here.
    Have a great week!
    Maxie

    Completely Coastal said...

    Oh, I'm just seeing this now. Husb and I looooove bagels. But no bagel shop near (or far)!! I'm gonna try this..., using whole wheat. It's tricky, but I'll give it a shot.

    Anonymous said...

    This is so good. Have been hovering over your blog for a while now!

    i've never really made bagels but looks like its worth a try. And really, tell me why we always want to bake when its Fall! Really, why?

    Have a great day, dear lavender dream.

    piccolaceleste said...

    Che fame! quasi quasi ci faccio un pensiero dolce... sera