Friday, July 3, 2026

Let's drive out to the Gulf Coast!


 We're discovering the 'real' Florida so we won't see seashells on white sandy beaches!


Great Blue Heron flying overhead

But we might see some fisherman trying to catch something on a hot summer day.


Then again, we might not see anyone! haha!

Did I mention it was HOT!


This was my jeep in the parking lot all by it's lonesome! 


John and I stopped at Felburn Park first and walked on a shady part of the trail to see the beauty of the water ponded up on the canal.


It's one of my favorite spots in Florida but not for a hike in June! We are already in the mid 90s every day with high humidity. 


We had our choice of parking places there too! 

Then we drove down over 4 miles of a dusty white road looking out the window at the canal.


It was so hot, the birds were in hiding.

This is a stretch of the Withlacoochee Bay Trail that ends up at a point on the Gulf.


Happy Birthday John!!!

We were happy looking out at the overlooks. It was windy and surprisingly cool there.

I love exploring the backroads of Florida at any time of the year. But our picnic lunch was eaten inside the Jeep with the AC running! Yes, I know....we are wimps!


A horse on the drive over looks like it has 3 eyes! 

Have you packed a picnic this summer? 

It's TIME! And it tastes even better out on a nature trail!

Happy Independence Day America! 


Thanks again for visiting me and leaving such heartfelt comments. 

Blogger buddies are the BEST! 

Love, Diane 🌴

I’m joining Saturday’s critters HERE!

51 comments:

Kim@Snug Harbor said...

Happy Fourth of July my friend!! I'm happy to see you out and about. You sound so much lighter and joyful. I know it's still hard, but I applaud you. xoxo

Helma said...

Hello Diane,

beautiful photo of the blue heron flying overhead :-)
The photos of your cloudscapes are really very beautiful. I love seeing these cloudscapes :-) You also have a birthday to celebrate. Have a wonderful day.

Warm regards,
Helma

Terri D said...

Wonderful photos!! You do find the best places to hike!! Happy 4th weekend and enjoy the week ahead!! xo

Sandy said...

Always a good place to visit. Good to see you out and about again. It is indeed summertime heat!

Tom said...

...Diane, how do you handle the heat? I started at 6am to do some work in the garden, by 9 I had to come in. I wish you a happy 4th and a Joyous July.

Modrina Neba - Blue sky said...

Good evening, Andreja!

Carla from The River said...

Happy 4th of July.
I love the photo of the horse.
Yes, we picnic year around, even in the winter. Hee Hee!!
We eat inside the car, with the heat on, after a day of cross country skiing or snowshoeing. ;-)

Chrissy T said...

Lovely photos! If I can't hike or take a nature walk the next best thing is definitely a do what I call a "Nature Drive" I love driving around preserves or old roads. So, much beauty to be seen! I have also decided to forgo many of swampy heat moments and have my picnic in my car too! It is still fun!

Barbara said...


As you well know, I recognize where John is standing when you visited the Withlacoochee trail that ends at the Gulf. Nice area but definitely HOT right now! Happy Birthday to John!

HappyK said...

What a beautiful place for walking.
Enjoyed seeing all you your wonderful pictures. Happy4th

BeachGypsy said...

So glad for a post from you! Love the pretty scenery. It's so HOT HERE TOO, πŸ”₯ πŸ₯΅. Yes, we picnic like that all the time---- we call them " dashboard picnics"! πŸ˜†. Stay 😎 COOL and have a safe and happy 4th!! πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ

Lowcarb team member said...

Lovely photographs.
Stay as cool as you can in the heat.
Happy 4th of July wishes.

All the best Jan

Irma said...

Hello Diane,
Great photos of your walk, a beautiful area.
I wish you a lovely weekend.
All the best, Irma

MELODY JACOB said...

Exploring the backroads of Florida to find the quieter spots is always such an adventure, even when the June heat is no joke. That view of the water along the Withlacoochee Bay Trail is gorgeous, though eating your picnic lunch inside the air-conditioned Jeep was a genius move in ninety-degree humidity. Happy birthday to John, and a very happy Independence Day to you too; you definitely made the most of having those beautiful trails all to yourselves.

MELODY JACOB said...

Running off into the quieter parts of Florida is always a fun adventure, though dealing with that intense mid-nineties heat and humidity means you have to get creative. Choosing to eat your picnic lunch right inside the blasting AC of your Jeep was a genius move to escape the midday sun. It is amazing that you had the Withlacoochee Bay Trail almost entirely to yourselves, and finding that windy, cool overlook must have felt incredible. Happy birthday to John, and hopefully you both managed to stay nice and cool for the rest of your Independence Day holiday.

Ann said...

So pretty there. I don't blame you for eating in the jeep with the AC on though. Happy birthday to John and Happy 4th

Martha Jane Orlando said...

You are much braver than I would be in bearing up under that kind of heat, Diane. Loved your photos! Happy 4th!

Jenn Jilks said...

We've got your heat up here! It has been awful. And the storms. sigh. I haven't done a picnic lunch in ages! All the best.

carol l mck said...

Happy Independence Day ~ Yep it is hot in MA too ~ oppressive ~ Glad to see you out and about ~ Happy Birthday to John ~ Hugs ^_^ ~ 'Carol McK'
https://anartistreflects.com

MadSnapper n Beau said...

I am way to old for hiking HOT trails, but I do love them. Always have and there is not a trail in our county that I have not walked. but that was at 62 not 82 years old. so happy to see you out and about. Our picnic will be in our AC and is being delivered and left on the porch. Glad Pizza joints stay open on the 4th of July

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Happy Birthday to John and happy 4th of July!

RedPat said...

It is good to hear that things are going well for you despite the heat, Diane.

eileeninmd said...

Hello Diane, Happy 4th of July! It is too hot to go out for walks now, we are close to 100° lately. Beautiful scenery and a pretty horse. Happy Birthday to John. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great day and a happy weekend!

Brian's Home Blog said...

Looks like a lovely time! The Gulf Coast is so pretty. Have a wonderful and safe Independence Day!

The Rev. Arnoldo L. Romero, MLA said...

Hi Diane! Florida is such a beautiful state. My grandfather lived there until he passed in 1995, so we used to go there often. The sights are amazing, and so is the wildlife. Happy Birthday to.John!

Linda said...

Beautiful walk, despite the heat. Hope you are enjoying a wonderful July 4th.

Iris Flavia said...

Happy 4th of July and Birthday, too - oh, and to Summer - it´s gotten so cold here! A joy to see where you are. One day I´d love to visit, too! Have a happy weekend!

Kim said...

Happy 4th/250th, Diane! I don't think y'all were wimps for eating in the car! Bring on the A/C! πŸ˜„πŸŽ‰❤️

magiceye said...

Fun times!

DeniseinVA said...

This is a delightful post Diane and I have enjoyed each and every photo. I loved my trips to Florida and hope to go again one day when I get a bit more ambulatory. I was always amazed at the wildlife down there (birds particularly). It would be great to see them again. Please wish John a very Happy Birthday, and Happy 4th of July x 250 :) Thanks for stopping by, lovely to see you there.

The Florida Furkids said...

For sure it is HOT here. Happy 4th!

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

It looks like a beautiful place and you have taken some wonderful photos, but when the weather gets that hot, it's hard to be outside too long. Makes sense to eat in the car with the AC..

Debbie said...

us blog people, all cut from the same cloth!! i would live in florida if it were my choice...the hubs doesn't want to move!! the image of the heron is AMAZING, spectacular!! the red winged blackbird is a beauty too...more my speed for capturing bird pictures. i am so truly happy for you, that you have been able to get out and hike. having someone to hike with is a real bonus. it's hot here too, 3 days of 100+ degrees temperatures. i haven't been out...i have been home, did some cooking, knitting...and a little cleaning. i like being home!! take care diane, it was so nice to hear from you today!!!!

Shiju Sugunan said...

Your photos are beautiful, Diane! That shot of the heron in flight is spectacular. Sending big birthday wishes to John, and hoping you both had a wonderful 4th of July weekend!

Marit said...

It sounds very hot at your place. The birds looks fantastic even when it so hot. Beautiful horse too.

Linda's Relaxing Lair said...

Beautiful photos, Diane. It is very hot and humid 😫 here in Montreal, Canada as well.

Jeanie said...

That seems so very quiet and it makes it all the more beautiful. What a lovely time. We haven't packed a picnic yet. I think we need to do that!

Alexandra said...

You never know what you might see when you go exploring along backroads! It feels very adventurous! It’s the perfect thing to do on a hot day, enjoying air conditioning and not expending energy!

Marcia said...

I wondered about the we in your first sentence but I see you have a nice companion again to join you as you wander in the woods. Glad to hear the cheerful tenor of your posts.

Basil and The B Team ~ BionicBasil ® said...

Gorgeous photos, amazing to see everything!! Hope mew had a wonderpurr 4th of July, and Happy Sunday to mew too!!! ✨πŸΎπŸŽ‰πŸΎ✨

♥ Łucja-Maria ♥ said...

Dear Diane!
Your photos are beautiful. I always look at them with great pleasure because I've never been to Florida and never will. Like you, I love nature with all my heart. Being in nature is one of the most beautiful ways to calm down and recharge. All the best to John. Sending you warm greetings from faraway Poland.

Villrose said...

Hot at your place! Lovely bird and horse.
Hugs,
/Irene

Life Images by Jill said...

Happy 4th July! I don't like to be walking out in the sun these days. Way too hot and sapping for me. Lucky we have a shady walk not too far from us, and we tend to get up earlier than in winter. Have a great week. Thankyou so much for visiting my blog today. It was great to hear from you.

Life Images by Jill said...

oh.... I was so sorry today to read back on your blog and learn about the passing of your husband. I can see that you have had the support of so many people, both dear friends in person, and on line. I hope life is treating you well as you go forward. Take care of you. I am so sorry I haven't connected with you in a while especially during this tough time.. Hugs from Australia.

Lorrie said...

I'm glad to see you out and about these days, even when it's so hot. Walking in the heat can really sap one's energy.

John's Island said...

Hi Diane, First of all, thank you so much for your kind and thoughtful comment on my Happy 4th post. It is great to see you back with happy posts. For the last several months I’ve been in an unusual, for me, blogging mode. I spent a lot of time, instead of blogging, watching the Eagle nest near Big Bear Lake, California to see two little Eaglets grow from hatch to fledge. I don’t think I’ll ever get back to posting as frequently as I did before my extended break in the Fall of 2025. However, I am going to try to keep up with a few of my favorite bloggers, and that includes you! 😊 It’s great to see you back exploring the backroads of Florida. You got some great pictures and thank you for sharing! Always a pleasure stopping by your blog. Happy Monday to you and have a good week ahead. John

DeniseinVA said...

A great series of photos. Fun - and wise - to have a car picnic in this heat.

Violetta said...

Beautiful pictures dear Diane. Oh this heat...and combined with humidity...must have been hard to bear. Have a good time and all the best
Violetta

Teresa said...

Me alegra saber que lo has pasado bien. Besos.

Soma @ InkTorrents.com said...

Beautiful clouds in your photos. A very happy birthday to John. When it comes to summer and heat I am a wimp. I definitely eat in the car with AC on.

-Soma

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Great that you are getting out and about with nature as your companion. Take care in that heat; it can be dangerous. It has been hot here too. I am looking forward to the first frost! Best wishes - David