Friday, July 31, 2026

Florida Greeneyes and other oddities


 When you get out in nature you are sure to see oddities!


The Florida Greeneyes really catches your eye! And it is endemic to Florida, meaning it is only found in Florida. 

I saw this Pawpaw plant on this same hike and it was unusual with the red center. Most of them have a pale cream colored center like the petal. I think this is a Wooly Pawpaw.


This hike took place on a section of the Florida Trails that runs through the whole state of Florida. I hike several sections from different trailheads. This trailhead is located on hwy 484 in Ocala.

It's fun to see something odd or unusual!


And imagine my surprise when a vehicle was headed my way on the trail, bearing down on me!

I laughed out loud!


It was a remote control truck and the owner was happy to tell me all about it.

It was so much fun that I was beginning to wonder if I could juggle my backpack, camera, hiking stick and a remote control.


What do you think?


Two red bellied woodpeckers, getting along! 

Enjoy your odd week. Get out there and go WILD!

Love, Diane 💜

I’m joining Saturday’s critters HERE!


45 comments:

Irma said...

What beautiful photos, Diane.
I find the flowers very beautiful and special.
Funny about the car, in the first photo, you wouldn't think it's a toy car.
The red-bellied woodpeckers are really amazing to see.
I wish you a very nice weekend.
All the best, Irma

Martha Jane Orlando said...

I so admire you for being able to get out and hike in the Florida heat, Diane. I love all your photos and the remote control car must have truly been a surprise to encounter.

Carla from The River said...

Oh this was so fun. I love that truck. I also love how friendly people are, stopping to chat and share.
Do the pawpaw have a scent? It is a beautiful bloom!!

Terri D said...

I will wait for cooler temps, but I LOVED leanring about the Florida Greeneyes flower! I have green eyes and may have to adopt that as "my" flower!! Cheers, Diane!! xo

Pamela M. Steiner said...

Such great photos! I guess I never noticed the Florida Green Eye flower before, although I think I've seen it, I just didn't know it was something "special"! Now I will be looking for them. And that pawpaw is beautiful! I don't think I've seen one exactly like that before either!! Now that truck was a surprise! It sure looked real! And I love the Red Bellied Woodpeckers. They are fun to watch. I'm glad you are getting out, although it sure has been hot for hiking lately. Hopefully you are getting out early in the day. Thank you for sharing your beautiful pictures with us!!

Linda's Relaxing Lair said...

Wow, Diane, your photos are beautiful! The woodpeckers are lovely. Beautiful flowers!
That is a really nice truck! I love taking walks in nature, and I really appreciate you sharing your photos!
I also wish you thank you so much for your visits and kind comments on my blog. I really appreciate you.
I hope you have a wonder filled weekend!

Barbara said...

You certainly made me chuckle with the red truck following you!!! Great sense of humor, girl!!!

And that white red-centered PawPaw flower is beautiful. I'm not familiar with that at all.

You clearly don't let the heat and humidity prevent you from spending significant time outdoors. Me, I'm a wimp!!!

Blessings to you and those you love.... (wink)!

Lowcarb team member said...

Beautiful flowers and I do like the red bellied woodpeckers.
One of my Grandsons has a remote control car, I have tried it - it's fun!
Take care, thinking of you.

All the best Jan

HappyK said...

Didn't realize the car wasn't for real. :) We've had remote control things before. They are lots of fun. Beautiful sights along your walk.

Brian's Home Blog said...

Those flowers sure are pretty and that little SUV is very cool!

Brian's Home Blog said...

Those flowers sure are pretty and that little SUV is so cool!

Tom said...

...the botanist in me loves these special Florida flowers! Be well Diane.

Modrina Neba - Blue sky said...

So beautiful Diane!
Good vikend, kiss Andreja!

Alexandra said...

Ha!Ha! You got me! I did not realize the truck was a toy until I scrolled down further! I knew it looked "odd" but did not catch on right away. I love experiencing WILD!

Shiju Sugunan said...

What wonderful photos, Diane! I had to laugh at the remote control truck heading your way on the trail.

Breathtaking said...

Hello Diane :)
Such beautiful flowers and the woodpeckers were a great encounter but the remote controled truck really fooled me :)) I thought it was a real truck coming towards you.. You never know what you will see on the trail but it's aways enjoyable,
Have a wonderful weekend Diane
Hugs
Sonjia.

MadSnapper n Beau said...

I have not seen these flowers or even hear the names.. they are gorgeous. Love the remote truck, what a fun meeting. Bob has flown remote control airplanes for years and years, and a few years ago I bought him a remote pickup truck that looked like his GMC truck. He loved it for a week or two then got Bored with it, and traded it to the pastors son, because he got a remote plane for Christmas, and at his young age could not fly it. they traded and both were happy.

magiceye said...

Beautiful captures all!

John's Island said...

Hi Diane! I’m smiling after looking over your post. It’s a happy post indeed. I love Irma’s comment, so please look at it again … it’s exactly my thoughts too. One addition: The Wooly Pawpaw … it almost looks like a rose surrounded by white leaves. I really don’t recall seeing that plant before. Thanks, as always, for sharing and have a happy weekend! All the best to you, John

eileeninmd said...

Hello Diane,
Great nature hike and photos. I love the wildflowers.
Great capture of the two Red-bellied Woodpeckers.
I have never seen a remote control vehicle on our trails, it looks fun. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great day and a happy weekend! PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

carol l mck said...

wow! What a great hike ~ gorgeous flowers unique to FL ~ wood peckers too and the fun remote jeep resembling yours ~ Lots of hugs and prayers for you dear friend as you move through the grief ~ Lots of Hugs ^_^
https://anartistreflects.com

DeniseinVA said...

Great advice Diane :) I found those two flowers beautiful and interesting, never having seen them before even in photographs, not until now that is. What fun to come across the jeep and its driver. Great to see your woodpeckers too. A lovely trail you took us on today. Thank you!

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

The greeneye looks like a sunflower’s cousin. Remote control truck! I thought your Jeep looked weird. 🤣
May

RedPat said...

i really thought that there was some fool driving an suv on your trail. Love those flowers. Be well Diane.

Linda said...

What fun seeing the remote control vehicle, thank goodness it wasn't full size. Love seeing the paw paw. Glad you are getting out for walks and enjoying nature.

Red Rose Alley said...

How delightful to see the remote control truck on your hike. And the woody pawpaw is unusual and pretty. Now, those woodpeckers are another story. They are on my lawn pecking away at everything!

Happy August days, Diane.

The Rev. Arnoldo L. Romero, MLA said...

Both the Florida Greeneyes and Pawpaw are gorgeous. That remote control truck is swell, and would love to have one to play with my grandsons. They'd love it! I have step ladder woodpeckers in my part of the country, and find them fascinating too. Thank you for your prayers for my Mom, and blessings to you!

Chrissy T said...

Dear Diane,
Wow!! What a wonderful surprise of goodies in nature!!!!! Those flowers are so beautiful. Wow... the Floridia Green Eye is beautiful as well as the pawpaw plant. I think I would have been surprise too about the remote control vehicle. How fun and odd. I am glad you are out and enjoying nature. It sure is so wonderful exploring.

Adam Jones said...

Some great looking flowers, and I love the Woodpeckers.

Rostrose said...

Dear Diane,
I'm so happy for you that you found so many nice "oddities" in nature—but also beauty! And that the little red truck made you laugh. Yes, those are the kinds of surprises no one experiences who just sits around at home. And of course, it's especially lovely to discover woodpecker friends and delightful blossoms.
Hugs & all the best from Austria 🤗
Traude
https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2026/07/reisebericht-2025-nanaimo-und-abschied.html

Marit said...

The Pawpaw flower looks very beautiful. I have never seen it before. Thank's for sharing. Hugs.

Teresa said...

Me encantaron esas flores tan bonitas, también los pájaros carpinteros. Besos.

Diane said...

I just typed a long comment and it vanished!! Hi Diane, sorry I have been extra busy and have only now tried to catch up on a few blogs that I try to visit. All the first part of the year was spent in S.Africa and then I had masses of catching up to do when we got home. On top of that we have now had over 3 months of almost constant heat wave. Mostly around 40 C but up to 42 C (188 F). It makes everything very difficult. At the moment it is around 30C which feels better!
Love all your photos and glad the truck did not run you over :-)) Take care, best wishes from the other Diane

Julie's Creative Lifestyle said...

How nice to get out for those hikes. I love the flowers and the woodpeckers. Happy August and have a nice week Diane.

Basil and The B Team ~ BionicBasil ® said...

Thank mew so much for taking us along on your hike, we loved it and the expert commentary too, plus the remote control truck, so much fun!!! Happy Monday!!!😻🐾✨🐾😻

Life Images by Jill said...

I am loving seeing your flowers, and I am sure the guy with the remote control truck was having losts of fun - a big kid at heart! good on him! Have a great week and thankyou for visiting my blog this week.

Veronica Lee said...

Oh Diane, you had me giggling about that truck! At first I thought it was real too.
The flowers are gorgeous, especially the Pawpaw with its red center. It looks so unique.
And those woodpeckers are such a treat to see.
You really know how to turn a hike into an adventure!

Caroline said...

Beautiful photos of the flowers and birds. Nice remote truck. Have a nice week.

Connie said...

Diane, I always enjoy your nature photos. These flowers are gorgeous and who doesn't love a woodpecker . . . better yet, two!

Soma @ InkTorrents.com said...

Very pretty flowers!! So vibrant.
The miniature photo is so well taken!! Great job!

-Soma

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

So great to see you out exploring, Diane! I loved the flowers you shared, their beauty is amazing! So fun to experience the truck in the trail, so fun! Definitely sounds like it was an oddly good day! Blessings to you!

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

That Pawpaw plant is just beautiful.I've never seen one before. All of your photos are wonderful. Thanks for sharing them. Have a good week.

Stella Maris - Agava said...

sumptuous, rich and educational blog...beautiful....compliments

Stella Maris - Agava said...

sumptuous, rich and educational blog...beautiful....compliments

handmade by amalia said...

Great photos! Pawpaws don't grow around here. I've been using an excellent cream made from them for a couple of years now but I think that this is the first time I've actually seen the flower.
Amalia
xo