I wish I could come up with something clever but in truth all I can think of was the fact that they were both at Halpata Tastanaki Preserve on days I couldn't hike! HA!
I've had a lot of those this summer. It's really been too hot to hike but my reason for observing wildlife from the comfort of the Jeep is a prickly heat rash.
It's the first one I've ever had but it was stubborn.
So I've taken a few drives out to the preserve just to observe!
I actually had something exciting happen the first time I went out there in the mid afternoon. I took my coffee drink and a snack and pulled over into a shady spot to enjoy it. I had it all out in my lap when I saw movement in a tree across the way. I almost dumped everything in the floor I got so excited.
I witnessed a Fox Squirrel building a nest. It kept going out to the end of a branch to gather Spanish moss, and back down to the nest to 'feather' his nest. I didn't get any great photos but I sure enjoyed watching him.
And then on another day, John and I drove out to the preserve to watch the horses in the field.
This one horse came out from behind the tree, walked a few steps, stopped to pose and then went on across the field. I had just enough time for a couple of photos but that's all I needed.
Thank you Mr. Horse!
Another beauty in the field!
It sure was a beautiful day for a drive 'off road' in the Jeep.
Sometimes you have to be happy with plan B.
I think I had a plan B summer!
Has that ever happened to you?
Love, Diane
John from John's Island wrote me a poem this morning!
A squirrel gathered moss on high,
a horse posed proudly beneath the sky;
though summer changed the plans for you,
nature made magic from Plan B, too.
Sometimes when hiking has to wait,
a Jeep-side view can still be great!
a horse posed proudly beneath the sky;
though summer changed the plans for you,
nature made magic from Plan B, too.
Sometimes when hiking has to wait,
a Jeep-side view can still be great!
Thank you John! This has made my day! Hugs! 💜















44 comments:
That was fun! Plan Bs are good, too.
Visitings in the nature are the most best we can do, I believe. In the heat, I walk early through the garden. Watching young squirrels here too.
Greetings by Heidrun ❤️
Beautiful photos of the squirrel of horses.
Hello Diane,
Beautiful photos of the squirrel and the horse.
I wish you a wonderful weekend.
All the best, Irma
I've had plenty of times when I've had to opt for Plan B, Diane. I love that you witnessed that Fox Squirrel building its nest and the photos of the horse are magnificent. So happy that Blogger Reader is back up and running!
Beautiful photos. Really like the view of the horse in the pasture.
I don't mind sitting in the car and observe when it's too hot outside. Beautiful clouds and horses, and wonderful photos.
-Soma
You always find fun and interesting things to photograph and share with us! The horses are beautiful. xo
we had a lot of very hot days but i am ok with it. i can't really get out too much right now so the heat has not been messing with my plans. love the horses, they are so pretty. most of my days right now revolve around part B. i am so happy you have found a friend you can share your love for hiking and birding!!
I think my summer may have been on plan c or d...lol
Both fun sightings. Sorry about the rash, that can't be fun
How neat to catch a Fox Squirrel nesting! Beautiful photos of the horses, too. A Jeep drive sounds like a wonderful Plan B summer solution!
...Diane, always remember that adapting is important in life and that a prickly heat rash might be better than frost bite!!! Keep dreaming your dreams and spread your wings and fly on exciting adventures. Be well!
That is such a great idea to observe nature from your car. I know it's more fun to hike it , but sometimes you just can't. I'll keep that in mind for days when I can't get out and do the walk.Interesting photo of the squirrel. Although I had a squirrel build a nest in the tree near my deck and wasn't so happy.. They are bothersome little creatures.
Hi Diane!
A squirrel gathered moss on high,
a horse posed proudly beneath the sky;
though summer changed the plans for you,
nature made magic from Plan B, too.
Sometimes when hiking has to wait,
a Jeep-side view can still be great!
PS Your post leaves me with a smile. Hope you have a wonderful weekend and week ahead. Thank you for your recent kind words on John’s Island. Hugs, peace, and joy to you! John
At least there was SOMETHING to see, right? Plan Bs are great in their own way-without the expectations of Plan A. I feel like my life right now is Plan C and I have no idea where it's going. lol. xo Diana
As the saying goes, "when life gives you lemons, make lemonade." I'm sorry to read about your rash, but glad God blessed you with the opportunity to witness the beauty of his creation in the squirrel, horse, and the blue skies. John's poem captured it all beautifully with the poem he wrote for you. I pray your rash heals soon. Shalom! .
I have had lots of plan b, c and d’s this summer and past times. Even especially now. I miss hiking tremendously but my life is not at that season right now. I have done what you have and driven to nice spots with a snack and enjoyed watching nature and just being out and off road taking scenic nature drives. A heat rash is no fun. I have had a few. Beautiful photos.
Hello Diane,
I am glad you had plan B! Love the cute squirrel.
The horses are beautiful animals.
Sorry to hear about the heave rash, I hope you are better now.
Are weather is cooler today.
Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great day and a happy weekend! PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.
Looks like you've had more opportunities to show off our area to your special friend. I'm so glad!
As for the squirrel building a nest with Spanish Moss, we certainly have plenty of "building supplies" for that!!
Wow beautiful photos and horses ❤️
Thank you for letting me know about the Youtube Video of the book about the ducks and Boston Gardens! I've added it to my post!!! Thanks so much
Plan B worked out well for you. Diane. I love the pics of the horses and watching the squirrel at work would be great fun. Hugs.
Diane ... OMG 😊 ... You updated your post to include my poem. My friend I am honored! You've made my day! Hugs! John
Such a wonderful and scenic area with a cool squirrel and beautiful horses! That was a fun poem too.
The horses look great!
All the ducks in a row on the dash, OH MY COD - love it!!!🦆 The squirrel, the horses, the epic green scenery, WOW, just beautiful and so soothing for the soul! Thank you for sharing, and we hope you have an epic Sunday! 😻🐾😻🐾😻
I sure miss both animals!
Oh, what a wonderful, personalized poem!!!
Do you print and hang in your room or make some art from it?
I have golfers elbow and can't type without further damage, but I did copy paste an answer by being clever and asking AI
A horse and a squirrel both belong to the class Mammalia, meaning they are warm-blooded, have hair or fur, and feed their young milk.Shared TraitsVertebrates: Both have a backbone and an internal bony skeleton.Warm-blooded: Both regulate their own body temperature internally (endotherms).Breathing: Both breathe air using lungs.
The trip was a success, as evidenced by the beautiful photos. The horse grazing in the meadow looks incredibly harmonious, majestic, and natural. This classic scene is a symbol of freedom, tranquility, and an undisturbed connection with nature.
Have a wonderful week.
The trip was a success, as evidenced by the beautiful photos. The horse grazing in the meadow looks incredibly harmonious, majestic, and natural. This classic scene is a symbol of freedom, tranquility, and an undisturbed connection with nature.
Have a wonderful week.
Love seeing those neat fox squirrels! Pretty horse too. It's STILL TOO 🔥 HOT to do anything OUTSIDE here except what has to be mowed, watered, fed, etc. I'm awaiting cooler days for sure! It would sure feel great. HUGS!
How cool to watch it build a nest! Nice shots.
Hugs,
Irene
Lovely photographs of the squirrel and horse.
John writes some wonderful poems and the one he wrote for you is just wonderful.
Sending blessings, and {{{hugs}}} across the water.
All the best Jan
I never heard of a fox squirrel - I always thought a squirrel was a squirrel - you taught me something new today. Sorry to hear the prickly rash is still a nuisance. All we have up here is constant rain. I'm over it!!! LOL.. Much love!!
Diane ~ your plan B turned out divinely from the squirrel creating a nest to the beautiful horses ~ Wow~ hope your rash is gone and wishing you good health and still praying for you as always ~ Hugs ^_^
Such a delightful read, Diane! 💕 Even when hiking wasn’t possible, you still found beauty in the squirrel’s nest-building and the horses in the field. Plan B turned into something special, and your photos capture that joy perfectly.
Oh my! to watch a Fox Squirrel building a nest is truly a gift from God! First of all, they are such elusive creatures, rarely seen anymore unless you are in a protected forest area like you were, and then to watch them building a nest is something really special. And the horse that posed for you was another special gift, with a bonus gift of another beautiful horse as well! Sometimes Plan B is the best plan. Our own plans don't always work out the way we think they should or want them to, but then God surprises us with something we would never have imagined on our own, and His way is always the best way! So, I think Plan B may actually be God's plan all along. I am sorry you have had a heat rash. I can imagine that is pretty uncomfortable. I pray it goes away soon. Take care and may bless you with many more extra special Plan B days!
at least you can get out into nature in the car, and still see some intriguing sites - like the squirrel. Enjoy your week, and thankyou for visiting my blog this week. I hope you get over your heat rash.
Fue muy bonito todo lo que viste. Deseo que estes bien. Besos.
Timing is everything and boy, did you ever have perfect timing, being able to watch the squirrel. And I really loved the horses, too!
The poem fit your post very well.
It has been a hot one. I am even trying to walk when the heat indexes is not 3 digits, I get excited about 99. Ha
To catch the squirrel though was perfect for you.
Good Friday and vikend, Hug Andreja!
Beautiful photos! The horses are lovely animals. Hugs!
Great poem by John. I enjoy seeing your wildlife photos of horses and birds and the lizard. Plan B is a surprise isn't it?
Post a Comment