Friday, August 28, 2026

Undecorating and going back in time!


Downy Woodpecker


Is undecorating even a word?


What's missing?


You know I'm going to tell you so here's what I've done so far....
the silk tree is gone, the whimsical ball hanging over the chair is missing too!


And the biggest change is the heavy comforter. I loved it but I felt the need to lighten things up so I bought a coverlet.


What do you think of going back in time?

I've never been one to dwell on the past but in recent months I've spent time reminiscing.  And you know what I've discovered? I'm still not a fan. I have a lot of good memories but I am realizing more and more that I need to compartmentalize my memories. Even thinking of happy times can make me sad.


But most of you know me well enough to know I love life and appreciate each and every day I'm blessed with. So this week, I undecorated a little and changed things up. 
And that makes me happy!


My view out the back window.

I like to look forward. I like to plan new adventures.
And I love to dream! I'm a dreamer!

Now to go back in time, I'll share some photos of this precious Downy Woodpecker that I took last August. I saw one this week but didn't get a good photo.


Do you ever feel the need to undecorate or change things up around the house?


And for those of you too polite to ask, NO I did not paint my walls green. I think it's just the lighting or reflection from the green grass outside. The walls are still BEIGE! hahaha!

Love Diane 💜

I’m joining Saturday’s critters HERE!
 

41 comments:

Irma said...

Hello Diane,
It is good for you to change things up in your room every now and then.
I think you have a beautiful view from the rear window.
I wish you a very good weekend.
All the best, Irma

Martha Jane Orlando said...

Neither my husband nor I are collectors of objects, preferring an uncluttered home, Diane. Loved your photos of the Downy Woodpecker! Blessings!

Marcia said...

You did well in your undecorating.

Sandy said...

I certainly like to change things up. I do like to look back but I am forward focused person overall. I am getting the nudge to do something different in my bedroom too. Not sure how long it will take me to move on it.

Jenn Jilks said...

My mom always spoke of disdecorating the Chrsitmas tree! It looks good.
I hear you about memories. They are poignant.

Brian's Home Blog said...

That woodpecker is so cute! Your room looks really nice and such a nice view you have!

BeachGypsy said...

I think it looks really pretty! I actually WOULD like the walls green, 😆 I love green. That is a really PRETTY pillow, did you make it? I would also like a close up of the painting with the lady with long hair, is she sitting on a couch or in a boat--what's going on in the painting? MERRY WEEKEND my friend, have a safe and happy one! HUGS

BeachGypsy said...

-PS--- I love that big mirror on your dresser!!!

Kathy said...

I love to change things around in my house and try to do it every six months or so. Your bedroom is so pretty.

NanaDiana said...

I like to change things up all the time. I am pretty much stuck with my living room the way it is because of hubby's walker. I have a baby grand that is in one corner and I have to keep an area open for the pups to go out the back sliding glass door so I have kind of a 'hall' area from kitchen to those doors that divides the living room in half basically. I, too, try not to dwell on the past-even the happy times because it kind of breaks my heart sometimes. Love to you, sistah! xo Diana

Barbara said...

Yes, there are times when change is a really good idea. Putting away the past, especially as widows, is helpful as the pangs of grief let up. I have let go of a lot (nearly an entire houseful) but there are some things I can't release but I don't want to look at them every day, either. Those things are in boxes in closets. From time to time I dispose of those things while determining other things are still to be kept.

Your un-decorating looks good to me. There are some things that have out-lived their purpose. Some things tend to bring us down. You are doing well.

You continue to be in my prayers. Love you, girlfriend!

Jeanie said...

I love how you changed things up (and nicely, too!). We often need a change. I'm curious if you have any of your beautiful photos framed!

HappyK said...

I enjoy changing things around in the house and do it often. I think you have a wonderful attitude!! Each day is a gift!!

Lowcarb team member said...

I think it's nice to, every now and again, change things up around the house!

All the best Jan

Terri D said...

Yes!! It is good to undecorate now and then!! It is difficult in my house, but I do give it some thought now and then, and can move little things around. You have such a lovely view from your window!! xo

Caroline said...

Beautiful photos of the woodpecker. Have a nice weekend !

Ann said...

After my husband passed away I did quite a bit of undecorating. I think I needed to make the space all mine. Most of the things I changed were things he picked out and I didn't really like them but I settled because he did. At first I had a hard time deciding what I really liked. I spent far too much time giving in to what someone else wanted and didn't really know myself much.

Alexandra said...

If "undecorating" is not a word, then you invented a great word! Undecorating is forward thinking, it's creating new, new the way you want it to be brings joy. Does that even make sense?

Tom said...

...I have a collection of quilts and a dear friend of mine gave me a quilt and a signs that says, " a bedd without a quilt is like the sky without stars." Diane, may you be well and happy. Spread your wings.

carol l mck said...

Diane ~ lots of prayers for you as you transition ~ what I calll it is ''decluttering' ~ it frees one up to move ahead ~ Great job changing your bedroom and sweet photo of the wood pecker ~ Wishing you a Happy Weekend and Week ahead ~
Hugs ^_^

The Rev. Arnoldo L. Romero, MLA said...

Your bird shots are fabulous. I agree, "undecorating or changing things up" can be a cleansing activity for the soul. It's like a new beginning or the start of a new chapter in your life. I like to "slightly" redecorate my art studio/home office according to the season, as well as reorganize my art materials regularly, because it helps me see things differently and keep my creative juices flowing. May the Peace of the Lord be with you my friend!

handmade by amalia said...

The room looks lovely, Diane, and your spirit, as always, is an inspiration. Stay strong.
Amalia
xo

Lorrie said...

I very much enjoy changing things up in my home once in awhile. September is a month where I often do some house-fluffing. I think it keeps things fresh. The changes you've made do open up the room.
Lovely Downy Woodpecker images.

eileeninmd said...

Hello, Diane
Love your Downy woodpecker and images.
Undecorating can be a good change for you, your bedroom looks lovely. I can understand that even happy memories can make you sad. Sending hugs! Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great day and a happy weekend! PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

Debbie said...

"undecorate"...hehehehe, never heard that one!! i don't change things up much around here. when i get things the way i like them, i tend to leave it that way!! you have a bright, refreshing look at your life going forward, good for you!! awesome pictures today, i hope you have a happy weekend!!

Yvonne said...

You're a person after my own heart. I've been undecorating a little at a time over the last few years. It comforts me to live with less, as the older I get, the less I like to be crowded. Changing things up a notch is a subtle way of quietly giving an old space a refreshing look. For me, it's part of my ritual of pleasing myself. I'm glad you find little comforts of joy in your life.

Pamela M. Steiner said...

I think I understand exactly what you are doing, and I say good for you! Sometimes it's just good to start with a fresh page and a new outlook. We don't totally let go of or forget the past, because it has helped to shape us into who we are today. But when you've had a great upheaval in your life, it is good to take things one day at a time, but keep moving forward. I think the "undecorating" your bedroom is a great place to start. I love what you changed. The new bedspread is beautiful. And I also like the walls that green color, even if they aren't! LOL. And I also would love to see a close up of that painting on the wall. (I was reading Debbi's comment. She and I tend to think a lot alike. LOL). May God continue to bless you and keep you and encourage you in each new day.

Marit said...

Your pictures of the Downy Woodpecker is so beautiful. I also like to redecorate my home. Change is fun. Sweet hugs, Marit

RedPat said...

It must be satisfying to be happy with the changes that you have made, Diane. A little bit at a time stops it from being a chore. have a good week. Hugs.

Villrose said...

Undecorating is a good word. Some of us (ahem) might find it useful to do it. Things can be overwhelming.
Lovely shots of the woodpecker!
Hugs,
Irene

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Hi Diane! Happy Saturday! It's good to change things up from time to time, and your bedroom looks pretty! Our book club discussed a book about downsizing and decluttering, and we all agreed we have work to do in our homes to begin to declutter and minimize for the day we have to downsize.

Iris Flavia said...

Oh, yes, dear Diane - I need to declutter, too! Sadly I hurt my back, though! A wish you a happy Sunday, dear.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

The key is to deal with memories, and with the joy and the grief they evoke, in your own way. Only you know how you feel. Seems to me that you are coping very well and ensuring that your life continues to have meaning and purpose. Stay well and be happy. David ❤️

DeniseinVA said...

Your changes are very, very nice Diane. Your room looks real pretty and I love that pretty sham pillow. I feel like undecorating a lot in the house. I am happy with the main room we live in but the rest of it, I'd be right along with you. There have been a few half-hearted attempts this year. It's time to put things into first gear :) That's a very cute downy you photographed. I haven't seen any around here lately. Wishing you many blessings for tomorrow and the rest of the week.

Shiju Sugunan said...

"Undecorating" is definitely a word in my book! It’s so refreshing to clear out the clutter. Your room looks wonderful with the changes, and I love your view. Fantastic shots of the Downy Woodpecker. Oh Diane, to answer your question on my blog—I would recognize you in a heartbeat on the trail! 😄

Wally Jones said...

Change is part of life. Hard for me to initiate something different but glad I did once it's been done.

Autumn is just around the hot, humid corner ...........

Linda said...

Nice looking coverlet!

Carla from The River said...

Hello Dear,
Oh yes, I understand when you say, even the good memories can make you sad. I have that with many things in my life too. Currently,my friend Nancy died. Her Celebration of Life was very lovely, but we all cried at all the happy times and jokes shared.

Thank you for posting your heart with us.
Love, Carla

Teresa said...

Se ve bonita tu habitación, y sí a veces los bonitos recuerdos nos hacen llorar. Bonitas las fotos del pájaro carpintero. Muchos besos.

Jeannie said...

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that big window. That was one of my main "wants" when we bought this house. My husband promised me I could put in a picture window in the living room. When it came time to update our rotting windows (caused by a previous owner never once painting them but leaving only the factory primer on them) my husband said I could have the wall opened up and my big window installed. The window company quoted almost $30,000 for ONE WINDOW!!! JUST ONE WINDOW! "Nope." I said.

Diane, realize you have a fortune on the wall of your bedroom. Enjoy that window!

Jeannie@GetMeToTheCountry

MadSnapper n Beau said...

For the past 16 months my house has been full two Walkers two wheelchairs a hospital bed and enough supplies to have my own Pharmacy period bob is still not walking and because I think less is more in my decorating i decided 2 weeks agoTo put my living area back to what it wasAnd nowThe only thing left out where you can see itThe hospital bed and the bedside tableTwo WalkersAnd a wheelchairEverything else is gone and in the living room there's one Walker the bedAnd the bedside tableI even bought a silk plant to put where the one that died while I was taking care of BobWhich was realAnd the reason there are noExclamation points or periods I'm talking to the computer because I now have tendonitis better known asTennis elbow not cause by tennis but by using my fingers to typeColor way too much and now I can't use my right armPeriod excuseTypos pleaseI'm going to try to give every one of my dog friendsOne visitPeriod
i love what you did to your bedroom it's beautiful and that is an absolutely gorgeous lace pillow