Saturday, September 12, 2026

Once Upon a Time....


Once upon a time there was a prince who wanted to marry a princess, but she would have to be a real princess. He travelled all over the world to find one, but nowhere could he get what he wanted. There were princesses enough but it was difficult to find out whether they were real ones.

"The Princess and the Pea" byHans Christian Andersen



Did you ever imagine yourself in a fairy tale? I have actually written a few fairy tales over the years and should take them out and dust them off. Of course I should shake up my creative juices and write or sketch or paint or draw. But I think the time will come when I feel artistic or creative and in the meantime, I will write! I will BLOG! And that makes me happy.


And driving out to Halpata Tastanaki Preserve makes me incredibly happy and I always find something to blog about.


So how did the white horse turn into a unicorn in my imagination? 


I saved an image of a horn and then added it to my horse photo in Photoscape. Easy peasy!


I got to hear 'the rest of the story' from the trainer of these two beautiful horses. The dark horse BIT the white horse. Or as the trainer said, 'SHE BIT HIM!' So she had her hands full trying to get control of these two fairy tale creatures.


Have you enjoyed any fairy tales this week? Maybe we should all pull out our story books and spend some time in fairyland!

Sorry about the background color on my text. 

Sometimes creating a blog post is even a creative challenge! hahaha! 

AND the winner of my blog anniversary giveaway is Jeanie from The Marmalade Gypsy. I'm sending you a gift certificate for something fun on Amazon. She and I started our friendship because of our love of books and continued because of our love of LIFE! Thanks Jeanie for adding so much joy to my life over the years. We've shared our love of life AND blogging! 

Love, Diane 💜

I’m joining Saturday’s critters HERE!


39 comments:

Villrose said...

Meeting an unicorn is not bad! I was as a child (and still am) The princess on the pea.
This sounds familiar. But I manage to blog ant take a lot of shots ervery week, so I'm happy with that. Hugs,
Irene

Martha Jane Orlando said...

I so enjoyed the whimsy and fun here today, Diane. Blessings!

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

I love your fairy tale. Maybe we need more fairy tales in our lives.

Brian's Home Blog said...

I do like your unicorn, it's a beautiful critter!

The Rev. Arnoldo L. Romero, MLA said...

Hi Diane! I love that picture you photoshopped of the unicorn at a distance! As a former educator, father, and now Papa, I've read all genres of children's literature. I've never written fairytales like you, but have written and illustrated books in the past. Like you too, I've stored them and have never had them published. I can imagine you writing a new fairytale with those two horses you met as the main characters. Think about it. Blessings, my friend.

DeniseinVA said...

Your unicorn is adorable Diane, as is the sight you shared with us. I love horses (and unicorns). I hope you share some of your stories. Congrats to Jeanie on your giveaway. She's a lovely lady and I enjoy visiting her too. Happy weekend! Hugs, Denise

eileeninmd said...

Hello, Diane
I can imagine handling the tow horses together, especially if one of the horses likes to bite. They are pretty horses and I love how you created the unicorn. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great day and a happy weekend! PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

Shiju Sugunan said...

Haha, the creative challenge of blogging is so real! Such a lovely post, Diane. Big congratulations to Jeanie, and thank you for sharing your love of books and life with us!

John's Island said...

Hi Diane – Thanks for sharing your fairy tale. We need more of this! Very nice photo work! Thanks for sharing and have a great weekend. Hugs! John

Irma said...

Hello Diane,
Beautiful photos of the horses, and I love fairy tales.
I wish you a lovely weekend.
All the best, Irma

carol l mck said...

Diane ~ love your 'Unicorn' ~ delightful along with your post and photos ~ I had a bumper sticker many years ago that read I BRAKE FOR UNICORNS ~ Lot of hugs and prayers and dove sent me a message for sure ~ ^_^

Marit said...

Dear Diane,
I grew up with the fairy tale about the Princess and the Pea. My father had three thick volumes containing all the fairy tales Hans Christian Andersen wrote.

Haha, the unicorn turned out really well.

Hugs, Marit

RedPat said...

This is a fun post, Diane. Hugs!

Lowcarb team member said...

I did enjoy your post Diane.
Whimsical. magical and fun... and I do like horses!
Many congrats to Jeannie on winning the giveaway.

My good wishes.

All the best Jan

Terri D said...

Congrats to Jeanie!! How fun!! I love your 'unicorn' and seeing the horses would have brought me such joy! Wishing you a lovely weekend! xo

Pamela M. Steiner said...

You and I were both in fairyland/fantasy land this week. I also kind of went down the rabbit hole and wandered around for a while. I love your unicorn! He's beautiful! And I do hope the trainer could get her horses under control. It's a bit unnerving to have wild unicorns running loose in the woods! LOL. Wow, what an adventure!! Thanks for sharing. Blogger is still not updating posts from our friends, so I'm having a hard time keeping up with everyone. I sure hope they fix it soon.

Debbie said...

congrats to dear jeanie, how fun for her, i follow her as well!! the white horse is a beauty and a rare sight in these parts. i am not much of a writer but i do LOVE to create things (as you know). and i have to agree, do what you enjoy at the time, being creative comes in stages and when you are not in that stage, you will not enjoy it!! have a wonderful sunday!!

magiceye said...

Loved your creative take!

Ann said...

Congratulations to Jeanie.
It's not every day you come across a unicorn in your travels. I wonder what made the other horse bite the white one.
It's been a long time since I've read any fairy tales.

Jenn Jilks said...

Well, aren't you fun and creative?!
And my latest header is from a year ago.

Tom said...

...Diane, each and every day, making yourself happy should be the plan and then spread your wings!

HappyK said...

Fun post. I like your unicorn.

EricaSta said...

Let me read your fairy tales. I'm going on to be 70years, but I love this. And HansChristian Anders is wonderful of course.
Thank you not at least for leaving your lovely comment.
Greetings by Heidrun

Breathtaking said...

Hello Diane :)
I like how you spun your magic Diane, and changed the white horse into a unicorn with your imagination which you have in spades. The last fairytale I read was about 63 years ago when I read them to my young children.
Hugs
Sonjia..

Caroline said...

Beautiful photos of the horses. Have a nice day. Greets Caroline

Lorrie said...

Congratulations to Jeanie! How kind of you.
I love the white horse transformed into a unicorn. We all need a bit more whimsy and fairy tales in our lives.

Alexandra said...

Congratulations to Jeanie! The joy in giving is as joyful as receiving! This was such a thoughtful thing you did! To be swept off into a fairy tale can be a perfect journey to go on!

Carol said...

I love these photos

Jeanie said...

First of all, I loved your story -- and the photos too! And second, thank you! What a delight and joy to be chosen in your drawing. You know there will probably be a book coming my way, due to your gift! Thank you so much -- reading your blog is a treat; Amazon is bonus points!

rupam sarma said...

Awesome pics, horses looks great. Congratulations to Jeannie.
Loved Unicorn pic :)

Carla from The River said...

I have always loved your creative side. The monsters you see in the swamp, the faces in the trees, and a unicorn.
Love You!!
xo

Kay G. said...

You live in such a beautiful part of the country! I have loved the thought of unicorns ever since I read the play "The Glass Menagerie". Keep writing!

handmade by amalia said...

Wonderful photos! I believe that fairytales come in many shapes and forms, we just need to open our hearts.
Amalia
xo

Diane said...

Horses being my favourite domestic animal, made sure I enjoyed this post. Love the unicorn. Well done. Hope you are well, t'other Diane

Rostrose said...

Oooh, dear Diane, you’ve turned an encounter with a horse into a scene straight out of a fairy tale 🤩. That white horse really does look like an unicorn.
I think I read "every" fairy tale by the Brothers Grimm and H.C. Andersen during my childhood, as I owned two very thick volumes of their work—plus various books of legends. However, I always found the prince from *The Princess and the Pea* a bit dim—why would anyone want a woman who constantly complains about being bothered by a puny little pea? To each their own, but he’d surely have more fun with a woman who just ignores the pea and enjoys life 😎.
Maybe you could write a fairy tale about *that* kind of princess sometime?
I’m absolutely thrilled for Jeanie that she won your giveaway! Congratulations!
All the best from Austria 🤗 and hugs to you,
Traude
https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2026/09/sommerliche-tage-ein-bunter.html

Soma @ InkTorrents.com said...

This is such a lovely writing. I love horses!!

-Soma

Teresa said...

Me gustan los cuentos de hadas, pero hace tiempo que no leo ninguno. Me encantó mucho tu reportaje. Besos.

NanaDiana said...

HAHAHAHA-Nothing like a unicorn in the wild! My grandgirls used to think I was I lived a fairytale because we always had 'fairies' and princess attire at my house with a little 'dressing area' just for them.
Congrats to Jeanie on the win. I love her-she is a good soul. xo Diana

Chrissy T said...

What beautiful horses. I love the added touch!! LOL! Perfect for that horse!!! Oh, I need to read a fairy tale now.