Wednesday, September 2, 2026

Why do I blog?


18 years ago I started  'Lavender Dreams blog'.

18 years! When I think of this journey and what it has meant, I feel very sobered and very honored that so many of you started this journey with me and continued on for 18 years. 

And then there are those of you that have just started following my blog this past year. Many of you knew I needed my blog friends these past 12 months, both old and new.


Of course we can go back and look at comments and see how many are not with us any more for one reason or another. But every single person makes an impact. I've shared happy times and sad in the past 18 years. And we have prayed. We've cared and supported each other through it all. And for that I am humbled and very very thankful.

I was encouraged to start my blog by my childhood friend, Lila. And she continues to be an inspiration to me. Thank you Lila! What a difference you've made in my life. I remember telling you I was going to keep my blog private, just share it with a few family and friends. You suggested I open it up to the public. And oh my, what a difference that has made in my life.


Now I have over 1500 followers, over the years I've had close to 100,000 comments and I don't know how many posts I've written or photos I've shared. But it has made my life so much richer. YOU have made my life so much happier! I ended my first post with a promise to Kaila (my friend from the Middleton doll forum who is no longer with us).

"I promise not to post scary BUG pictures, Kaila."

I'll have to admit to breaking that promise. But she would understand and she would love it! 


This is a Robber Fly anyway, so it doesn't count! haha

I had a little drama a few years ago when my blog was shut down HERE and I want to thank my loyal friends who stuck with me during that fiasco. 

I'm going to send a little thank you gift to one of you. Just leave a sweet comment or even a happy face to be entered. I wish I could send you all something special but consider yourself HUGGED and LOVED and so very appreciated.

Thank you for spending time with me on my blog. Thank you for being my blog buddy. Thank you for praying for me.

Thank you for sharing your lives with me for 18 years! 

God bless you all!

Love, Diane 🐝

37 comments:

Jenn Jilks said...

Congratulations! People feel the same way about snakes on my blog! I love them, and insect.

Daniela said...

Blessings to you, Dearest Diane, you mean so much to me, sweet Friend, you're more than a blog-friend, much more than this!
XO Daniela @ ~ My little old world ~

Lowcarb team member said...

Well done and congratulations on eighteen years of blogging.
The blogging community is very special and I always enjoy spending time with you :)

All the best Jan

PS It's a very kind offer you've made, but no need to include me in it. God bless.

Terri D said...

Congratulations on 18 years!! Blogging friends are some of the best friends and I'm glad you are continuing on!! I enjoy visiting with you here and hope we can be in-person friends too, one of these days!! Your photos are so well done - even the bugs! xo

Ann said...

I think we started blogging around the same time. Blogging has been a true blessing and it’s such a wonderful community to be a part of. I’m thankful to count you as one of my blog friends

Marcia said...

Just realized I've been at it 18 years too! You definitely have many more followers than I'll ever have but like all of us I enjoy reading your blog. :)

Brian's Home Blog said...

Happy Blogoversary from all of us! I'm sure glad we found your blog!!!

Billie Jo said...

This is a beautiful post, my friend. What a perfect way to describe this wonderful world of blogging! Congratulations on eighteen years and here's to many more!

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

Such a beautiful and meaningful post. 18 years that you have felt enriched by those who visit your blog and you have enriched the lives of others. Congratulations

Irma said...

What a long time you've had the blog, Diane.
I've also been at 15 years of having my blog and I still really enjoy it, indeed, it is a great support to you, you can basically share your photos with the whole world, that is my experience.
I wish you a lovely Thursday.
All the best, Irma

Veronica Lee said...

Congrats on 18 years, Diane! 🌸
What a beautiful journey you’ve shared with all of us.
Your words remind me how blogging is more than posts and photos--it’s friendships, prayers, and encouragement woven together over time.
I’m so glad you opened your heart to the world, because your Lavender Dreams has touched so many lives, mine included. Here’s to many more years of joy, stories, and even the occasional bug photo! 💜

eileeninmd said...

Hello Diane,
Lovely post and congratulations on 18 years of blogging.
I am happy to be one of your many followers.
I enjoy your photos, cool captures of the Robber Fly.
Take care, have a happy day!

Pamela M. Steiner said...

Wow! Congratulations on 18 years of blogging!! You got started back when blogging was still in its infancy, I guess! LOL. However, I just counted up, and I guess I've been blogging for 16 years and didn't even realize it, the years went by so fast! And yes, it is a wonderful community of beautiful people, most of whom we will probably never meet this side of heaven, but yet we still are friends and enjoy each other's company! I hope to meet you someday face to face, since we really don't live that far apart, and you hike the trails of this part of Florida that I love so much. I just can't get out and hike/walk as much as we used to, and I really do miss it. But I can enjoy your pictures and pretend I am there. I love the "Robber Fly". He's a cutie!! Blessings to you today.

Alexandra said...

It's a wonderful experience having strangers come into our lives through blogging. It gives us an opportunity to learn about so much from all over the world. Then these strangers become blogging friends. I am thankful to have come upon your blog. Your outlook on life is inspiring! I look forward to seeing your photos and reading your words in your posts to come. Congratulations, my blogging friend, on your 18 years of participating in this beautiful community!

Martha Jane Orlando said...

Congratulations, Diane! Eighteen years of blogging is definitely an accomplishment. I'm glad that I joined in recently as I really enjoy your posts.

Billy Blue Eyes said...

I’m impressed you have been going 18 years with your blog, I’ve been going just 14 and am struggling a bit at the moment. I don’t have any where near as many followers like you but notice thousands of views which are mostly AI bots harvesting this makes me wonder why so carry on but I still write my Church Explorer blog and the daily photo even though it’s down to a couple a week now. Love the robber fly. Hope your post does not mean your leaving us

Julie's Creative Lifestyle said...

Wow Diane, congrats on 18 years of blogging. That is a big accomplishment and I've enjoyed visiting your blog each week to see your beautiful photos from your hikes. Wishing you many more years of happiness blogging.

HappyK said...

I too have been blogging for 18 years Sure hard to believe its been that long. I feel the same way about blogging as you do. :).

Debbie said...

ooooooh sweet diane, i can't remember when we "met" but i knew instantly we were cut from the same cloth. we are like minded in so many ways. in october, i will have been blogging for 17 years and i have loved every second. i thought i would be drawn most to the pictures, but soon realized it was the people, their stories and the connections i made that really made a difference. i have enjoyed everyone of your very thoughtful comments, especially now, but really always!!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Happy Blog Anniversary, Diane! I have been following you from the beginning, when the blogging circle was small--how it has grown! Like you. I have lost many wonderful blog friends over the years, and they are dearly missed. As I am getting older, I tell my family and friends that blogging is my mental exercise--better than doing Wordle or puzzles or crossword puzzles, as it keeps me thinking and trying to be creative and in touch with people all around the world. How fortunate are we? It has been a pleasure to know you all these years- let's keep in touch for many, many more!

Carla from The River said...

I love the eyes on Robber Fly. ;-)
You are a dear friend. You have watched my boys grow up, graduate, serve our nation in the military. You have helped me with my tears as our home become an empty nest, it was so hard for me to see my boys leave the nest.
You encouraged me and loved me. And understood, because you too are a boy mom.
Love You!

Linda's Relaxing Lair said...

Dear Diane, first of all, congratulations to you on your 18 years of blogging! I am so happy for you! You have tremendous talent in writing! The way you describe why you blog is such a joy and inspiration to read!
I may not know you nearly as well as some of your fellow bloggers, but I appreciate you and your posts and photos are beautiful and inspiring!

Linda's Relaxing Lair said...

Your photos are absolutely stunning, Diane! Thank you so much for sharing!

Barbara said...

We are definitely blog buddies, and even live in the same town and shop at the same Walmart!!! Isn't it interesting how one thing can lead to another.

As for scary bug pictures, the eyes on that fly are HUMONGEOUS!!!

Tom said...

...I'm sorry to be late to the party, but a finally showed up. Keep dreaming and spread your wings.

Penelope Notes said...

That really is a cute bug! Eighteen years and many more to come. :) That's about the time I started a blog, too. But my how time does fly!!

NanaDiana said...

Oh, Diane! The blessing has been for US, as much as for you. We have been enriched by your pictures but more so by your honesty and appreciation of life in all its stages. I love that you have been blogging so long. We have seen you go through the stages of life. Some good some heartbreaking. God bless you and I am so glad to have met you here in Blogland. xo xo xo Diana

Jeanie said...

Congratulations, Diane.I think we must have started about the same time but I didn't discover you right away. Still, it has been awhile and I've enjoyed the walks and hikes, beautiful photos and all that you have shared. Three cheers and don't quit!

Marit said...

Dear Diane,
Congratulations to your fantastic blog! I love your photos.
Hugs, Marit

Lorrie said...

Your blog has been a favourite of mine for many years. I started blogging in 2007. Wow - how life has changed since then.
The Robber Fly is rather cute, and not at all scary.
Looking forward to more years of writing and reading blogs.

Kim@Snug Harbor said...

Oh Diane - Congrats on 18 years! Yours was one of the first blogs I started following when I started blogging. What a journey it has been. We have both lost our husbands, but I'm so happy and proud to say that you and I have become wonderful friends thru the years and I wouldn't trade that for anything. I wish you continued happiness and many more years of blogging. I love you girlfriend!!

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

It has been such a blessing to know you, Diane, and the joy that you bring to blogland through your pictures and stories! You have been through so much, especially this last year with losing your husband, and my heart hurts with yours, especially as we had a scare last fall when my husband had a heart attack. Congratulations on 18 years of blogging! It has been a wonderful journey! Blessings to you dear friend!

DeniseinVA said...

Oh my goodness, I am one of those who loves a good bug picture. You have given yours personality, it's awesome! I have never seen one of these before. It's always a learning experience this blogging. So much out there to learn about. Congratulations on your 18th year anniversary. I think we all feel blessed to know you Diane.

A Brit in Tennessee said...

Congratulations on your 18 years blogging anniversary, you have shared many uplifting posts, I have laughed with you and shed a few tears along the way.
I'm smiling at your little bug friends, I have gained the friendship of two little green tree frogs all summer long, they greet me every morning, and sit on my porch all day long.
Hugs,
Jo

Modrina Neba said...

Congratulations on 18 years of blogging... I've been blogging since 2013 but not on Blogger.com, I started somewhere else, and when everything there got deleted, or fell apart, I found Blogger and I'm happy that I can keep blogging :)) Wishing you a nice Friday and weekend, Andreja!

Jeannie said...

Eighteen years! That is awesome! So many people have been encouraged, entertained, and educated by your posts. Consider me one of your loyal followers.

Jeannie@GetMeToTheCountry

PS: I vote NO scary spiders!

Teresa said...

Felicidades por tantos años de blog. Yo estoy encantada de seguirte. Abrazos fuertes.