Friday, November 22, 2013

Literary Friday and a Book and a Blanket UPDATED at the end!!!

I’m enjoying my new lap quilt in the lanai. So far it hasn’t been cool enough to wrap up but cooler temps are on the way. And I’m reading the BEST book that I want to share.

IMG_9097

Did you ever read an author that can paint a picture? Describe something so that you can picture it in your mind? Beth Hoffman is that kind of author. Her books are always delightful. I like to rate my books 1 to 10 and I gave Saving CeeCee Honeycutt a 10! It really was THAT good!

 Looking for Me by Beth Hoffman is wonderful so far!

I don’t usually do reviews but I thought I would just quote a little part of what I read today in chapter 2. (I just started the book today)

“…the deep chug chug of Daddy’s tractor sounded. Puffs of gray smoke lifted into the air from its tall exhaust stack and Roxy was hunkered down for the ride.

Earlier that summer, Daddy had taught Roxy to do something amazing. After folding an old blanket and setting it on the front of the tractor, he tied it down with twine…and whistled for Roxy. She was big and beautiful and loved my dad something awful. Roxy was a Brahma chicken, fluffy white with feather pantaloons that went all the way down to her toes.

Daddy lifted Roxy onto the blanket and taught her how to ride on the front of the tractor. Roxy sat up there like a feathery pom pom, all plump and proud. I thought it was the cutest thing I’d ever seen…. Mama said Daddy spent more time talking to that chicken than he did talking to her.”

IMG_9099

(a new bookmark from the library, made by a young artist)

I’m joining Ricki Jill for Literary Friday .

And Marfi with a Book and a Blanket HERE .

Are you reading a good book today?

UPDATE ~ I was SO thrilled to receive a comment from the author!

Beth Hoffman wrote,

“What a surprise. I'm delighted that you're reading my new novel and have featured it on your blog along with your quilt!
I hope you'll continue to enjoy Teddi's story and I thank you for your kind words.”

Thank you SO much for visiting me today! I am honored and delighted! And thanks to all of you that take time to visit my blog and comment. Sweet hugs to you ALL!

29 comments:

Catherine Holman said...

Thanks for the reading tip I just placed a hold for both of them at our library.

Marfi-topia said...

This sounds like a great one!
I love when a book takes you away:)
Thank you my friend.

Vee said...

No. I got a new one from the library, but concerns a topic I do not enjoy...wish I had researched it first. Maybe they have this one!

Montanagirl said...

I really do love a good "read." Thanks for sharing.

NanaDiana said...

That sounds like a really good read, Diane...and I could use that lap quilt-we are not supposed to get out of the teens tomorrow-xo Diana

Dayle ~ A Collection of Days said...

I'm enjoying a few new books that I ordered online recently. I hope I never lose my love of books.

We're really cooled off here today. Love it.

Donna said...

Thanks for the recommendation! I loved her first book. Off to check the e-book listing for our library...

Ricki Treleaven said...

Thanks so much for linking-up. I think that Looking for Me might make my Best of 2013 list! It was not what I was executing, and I loved it! CeeCee was cute, but this one is far more literary!!!

xo,
RJ

Linda H said...

This sounds like a book I would love. Have just added it to my "To Read" List... Thanks!

Linda @ A La Carte said...

I loved Saving CeeCee Hunicutt so I will look for this book also!

Lynn said...

The book sounds awesome. I'll put that on my list!

cucki said...

Thank you for sharing dear.. I do love my books and my reading time :)
Big hugs x

The Bear's Blog said...

Hi Miss Lavender Dreams,

It's me - Mountain Girl (giggle). Today I will need my blankie and sit by the fireplace to keep warm. It's gonna be beary cold AND maybe snow flurries on Wednesday. Boy, do we love living up here in the mountains.

Wendy, maybe in the spring you can come for a visit. I know you don't like the cold.

Heaps of Hugs
Prudence ♥

RURAL said...

That is a great book, I read it a while ago...and you are so right about her descriptions.

I've put your blog on my blog roll again, it keeps disappearing along with a few others..I have no idea what is happening with that. If you notice that it's gone the next time, let me know.

For some reason my blog posts are not updating on a lot of blog rolls also...sigh! Blogger!

Jen

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

I'm keeping a list of books you've mentioned that I might like Diane. I finished a series by Marie Bostwick that centred around quilting and the characters became like friends to me. 5 books to the series.

Beth Hoffman said...

What a surprise. I'm delighted that you're reading my new novel and have featured it on your blog along with your quilt!

I hope you'll continue to enjoy Teddi's story and I thank you for your kind words.

Denise said...

Sounds good :)
I think I'll check out the book and Author. If I don't talk to You sooner-Happy Thanksgiving to You and Your family.Hugs Denise

Olive said...

I read that book in late summer and it was good. Have a lovely Thanksgiving, Olive

Ricki Treleaven said...

How cool is this!!! Beth Hoffman is a great writer and has a sweet, kind spirit!!!

xo,
RJ

Sherry@Back2Vintage said...

What a thrill for you to hear from the author!!! So excited for you!

Candylei said...

I linked over from Ricki's blog. Love the description you quoted from the book. We have light Brahma chickens and they sure are big and fluffy. One man we know calls them "Feather Feet."

Terra said...

I liked the Cee Cee book and will look for this new one. Pretty book mark too.

Cheryl @ TFD said...

I know I'm going to have to find the book. I want to read more about the tractor riding chicken, for one thing. It sounds like a most interesting book! Enjoy your Sunday!

Simply Shelley said...

Nothing like a good book and a pretty blanket to cuddle up with...enjoy. Very cool that the author paid you a visit....blessings on this Lord's day dear friend.

Anonymous said...

Your love for books is so contagious, Diane. I just wish I had more patience. I start them and pick them up to finish months later. :) There's only about a handful of books that I haven't been able to put down, Gift from the Sea being one of them.
Enjoy!
Happy Thanksgiving!!
PS-I'm back at my art table. :)

LindyLouMac said...

Calling by from Literary Friday. What a lovely review and it is a wonderful bonus when an author shows appreciation.

joyh82 said...

We read CeeCee Honeycutt for book club and liked it. Glad you are liking her other book. A friend told me I have to read, The Prayer Box by Lisa Wingate. Just thought I would mention. Love your cute lap quilt :)

Poppy said...

Sounds very interesting, Diane! Thanks for the snippet and what a sweet lady Ms. Hoffman is!

Poppy

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Fun catching up with your beautiful home and activities! Envy your beautiful bookshelves! I read This authors first book and will go get this one as soon as I post this comment. Thanks ...I really liked that first one